“fails” are a fact of life for everyone in business, regardless of how hard you try. (Even the founder of Neiman Marcus has said, “The road to success is paved with mistakes well-handled.”) Learning how to “recover” from these events is more crucial than ever, regardless of whether you’re a coffee shop or a law practice.
There’s a major upside to handling a complaint effectively. Your customers will actually be happier than if they’d had an “uneventful” experience with your company (see diagram!) Authentic “#reputation management
” is not about improving online reviews, but giving actual, excellent customer service.
Service recovery is a teachable skill. The first crucial element is a company-wide commitment to delighting customers. Then all employees, regardless of position, need specific coaching in complaint-resolution skills.
Your business must also define what, exactly, is in an employee’s “relationship repair” toolbox. (Can a restaurant server “comp” a meal? Is a manager’s approval necessary to issue a credit or refund for unsatisfactory service?) Making it easy to provide “recompense” or “amends” is essential to empowering employees to give world-class service. The words “I have to check with my manager” will further enrage an already-angry customer.
Our fun, fast Lunchbox Learning class provides specific strategies and tactics that will ensure loyal, happy customers after a misstep.
We’ll discuss how to turn around tense situations, how to remain calm and effective during a confrontation, how to identify complaints before they happen, and how to resolve a complaint with confidence. Attendees will find out how to turn potential “haters” into raving fans of your business.
- The shocking power of negative word of mouth, on and offline
- When to disregard negative feedback
- Handling complaints in person, on the phone, and online
- The anatomy of a complaint
- Your most valuable client: the complainer
- Different complaining “styles” and how to respond effectively to each
- Radioactive words and phrases you must never use when resolving a complaint
- Why and when problem-solving backfires, and what to do about it
- A simple trick that will enable you to listen rather than panic
- Recompense: how to make them happy without giving away the store
- Abusive vs. Angry customers and what to do about them
The Zen of Customer Complaint Resolution
12-1 p.m. (BYO Lunch!)
Adams Hub for #innovation, 111 W. Proctor St. Carson City.
Space is limited for this session, so please RSVP to email@example.com.